[Isis-users] FRBR et logiciels ISIS

roberto.sturman at ts.infn.it roberto.sturman at ts.infn.it
Wed Aug 17 09:54:35 CEST 2011

Sorry, I don't speak French.

Integrating the FRBR data model in ISIS applications is not an easy task,
however it is not impossible.

Have a look at:

<http://pclib3.ts.infn.it/frbr/FRBR.htm> (project info page)

<http://pclib3.ts.infn.it:8080/ifpa2/main.html> (link to the application
prototype; to access to the editing functionalities, use the link "Other
database subsets, including the DEMO")

Even if the ISIS family is not an RDBMS (relational database management
system), it supports some kind of relationships between records.
A completely normalized database (no duplicated information) can be
implemented. There are more than ways of implementing the relationships
between records, the most challanging point of such data model; anyway any
serious applications would require also a way of managing the integrity
reference and other problems arising during such implementation.

If anyone is interested, I can give more information about the IFPA2
prototype.

Recently I have just started to investigate how to integrate the FRBR data
model (or better the RDA <http://www.rda-jsc.org/rda.html>) into ABCD,
which is in my opinion also feasible.

roberto sturman
Universita' degli Studi di Trieste