[Isis-users] First workshop on ABCD in India/Asia

bhowa tg bhowatg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:13:28 CEST 2011

Congrations from us at abcdZim.org.  (zimbabwe)

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Rabisankar Giri <girirs_75 at yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> The national workshop on ABCD has recently been held on May 26-29, 2011 in
> Birla Institute of Management and Technology (BIMTECH), India. This is the
> first workshop on ABCD in India even in Asia. The program is jointly
> organized by BIMTECH and Rangnathan Society for Social Welfare &Library
> Development (RSSWLD), supported by UNESCO and Indian Council for Social
> Science Research (ICSSR). BIMTECH with RSSWLD has been organizing a series
> of knowledge building program on library science based on FLOSS philosophy.
> This is the fifth in this series. The previous workshops were on the two
> most popular FLOSS based ILMS [i.e., KOHA and NewGenlib(
> www.verussolutions.biz) ] in India.
>

> This workshop on ABCD is unique in following sense
>

>    1. About 500 professionals were applied for participating in this
>    workshop. This might be the first workshop for which such a huge application
>    came. Only 50 participants were selected based on their prior experience
>    with ILMS. All the participants were using either any ILMS software or ISIS
>    family software.
>

>    1. India has 28 states and seven union territories (UT). Almost from
>    each state and UT, at least one professional took participation in this
>    workshop. Besides, professionals from neighboring countries of India like
>    Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal Bhutan have also participated in this workshop.
>

>    1. The resource person for the workshop was none other than Prof.
>    Egbert deSmet, University of Antwerp, Belgium, one of the developers of
>    ABCD.
>

> Though in India, many of our librarian are using FLOSS based ILMS for
> managing activities and services of Library (e.g.,
> http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/11555 , http://59.176.17.111/,
> http://www.granthalaya.org/ ) but, few of us are aware about the
> development and possibilities with ABCD. Only a very few from India have
> made some progress with ABCD ( http://124.124.221.16/site/php/index.php ).
>

> Unless we attended Prof. Egbert’s workshop in BIMTECH, we could hardly know
> that we, the library professional can be truly empowered with the enormous
> possibilities with ABCD. In a real sense ABCD is truly open. In the four
> days workshop, he taught us every module of ABCD and gave us practical hands
> on experience with ABCD.
>

> More than this, he has created a wave among the participants with the idea
> of innovativeness and unlimited possibilities of ABCD. As OSS evangelist,
> many of us are coping everyday with the issue of data conversion because of
> variegated underlying structure of different ILMS databases. When he showed
> us the power mx command and ABCD in data conversion, we were really spell
> bound.
>
> In simple, Prof. Egbert has just thrown us into a FLOSS knowledge ocean  giving
> only a tiny but powerful ABCD to tide over by igniting our mind. Many of us
> thus, have already started exploring the ABCD and need the extended
> [...]

bhowa tg
Infoprenuer, zimisis
bhowatg at gmail.com  skypeID:  bhowatg
blog: http://bhowatg.blogspot.com
http://facebook/bhowa.tg; http://twitter.com/bhowatg
www.zimisis.co.cc

"there are two equally dangerous extremes-
to shut reason out and to let nothing else in"
                                     Pascal, 1670