[Isis-users] Volunteers to assist INASP in collecting data about download speeds

Alan Hopkinson A.Hopkinson at mdx.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 16:10:05 CEST 2011

Dear List Members

Please forgive me yet again for circulating something off topic.

I think that many CDS/ISIS and ABCD users will be competent to help in this area.

I suggested to Anne Powell I could circulate this to this list and she asked me to do so.

Apologies if you have received it elsewhere.

Alan

Alan Hopkinson
Technical Manager (Library Services)
Middlesex University
Learning Resources
The Burroughs
London NW4 4BT

Phone +44 20 8411 5238
FAX   +44 20 8411 5163

________________________

Comparison of download speeds

INASP are looking for volunteers in developing countries to assist us in
collecting data about the relative download speeds of several websites.
We will use this information to assist publishers to make their websites
more accessible in low-bandwidth situations.

We have created a set of short exercises for participants to undertake
with feedback via an Excel spreadsheet (which can be downloaded from
http://www.inasp.info/media/www/documents/Download-speeds-timing-sheet.xls).

Please note there are 4 worksheets in this file.

Participants can work through the process recording their results and
opinions.  Please comment on any aspects of possible interest in terms
of speed, interface clarity and functionality.  While there are numerous
factors which could affect download speeds, this study will provide a
starting point. If you find you are unable to open any files, please
just indicate this in your results.

To try to minimise other variables, all programmes except Excel should
be closed before starting this exercise.

All those submitting valid data before 31 May 2011 will be entered in a
draw for $75 Amazon vouchers.  This is open to anyone, so please
circulate the information widely.

All the best

Anne

Anne Powell
Programme Officer, Information Delivery
International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications
(INASP)
60 St Aldates
Oxford
OX1 1ST
E-mail: apowell at inasp.info
Tel: +44 (0)1865 249 909
Fax: +44 (0)1865 251 060
http://www.inasp.info <http://www.inasp.info/>
INASP is a registered UK charity: number 1106349