[Isis-users] GENISIS WEB query

spinaker spinaker at adinet.com.uy
Wed May 25 12:51:03 CEST 2011

Dear Vinod

Search results in any-isis version are sorted in ascending or descending
order of MFN
If you want another order you should sort first your master file before
prepating to upload to Genisis
One way to sort a database by any field or fields is to use MSRT.exe
from CISIS library

let's say  you want to sort by field v245, then the syntax would be

*msrt  mybase  100  mhu,v245   tell=1000*

where   100 means the length of the string to sort
               mhu,v245  the field used to sort the records
               tell=1000    is only for you to know that the program is
running and will give a return every 1000 swaps of keys

BTW:  the number of swaps is approx =  Log (N) x N x 4   (Log is
logarithm in base 10) and N the number of records to sort
            the real formula is µ x N x Log_2 (N)  where 1.1 <*µ* < 1.2
            this is useful in order to know how much time will take to
sort a database of N records
            In an standard new PC with Windows XP will take 35000
swaps/minute
            so, if your database is about 10000 records, to sort it
would take about 4' 30''

Regards
Ernesto Spinak