[Isis-users] Record size

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at ua.ac.be
Fri Jan 6 10:23:59 CET 2012

In fact and most unfortunately the problem is even worse : the ISISScript language which is used to process worksheets into records has an actual limit of only 16Kb. I requested BIREME to have this worked on as it is against the original idea of benefiting of the capability of ISIS to deal with relatively large records (e.g. for full-text applications), one of the main criteria on which VLIR/UOS experts selected ABCD as the chosen solution. Even with the 'extended' ISIS-technology (the so-called 'FFI'-version of CISIS) with records up to 1 Mb, which I use in the experimental Digital Library implementation (currently under testing), the problem gets worse : the records can be 1Mb indeed but dealing with them in ABCD is limited to only 16Kb... In the Digital Library feature we circumvent this by not using ISISScript but omitting editing options therefore.
It gets even worse when considering the max. capacity of one record for indexing : once over 6Kb  incremental indexing with full-text (technique 4 or 8) indexing becomes a problem...

In practice this means that one loses the contents of a record when being saved and over the max. capacity. No error message, just the contents getting lost. Not the best possible solution indeed.
Nevertheless, don't misunderstand me, I keep believing in ISIS and ABCD as marvelous technology, but with still this type of problems to be solved by knowledgeable people at BIREME who are the intellectual owners of CISIS carrying still some responsibilities in this, also when now working in a FOSS-situation.