[Isis-users] concerning ABCD implementations

spinaker spinaker at adinet.com.uy
Sat Jan 14 13:43:17 CET 2012

*Version en español se publica por separado*
Dear colleagues

In recent months we have seen a lot of initiatives in several countries
that are implementing ABCD in whole or in part, be it the Central
module, or iAH interface, or the public interface (OPAC) of the ABCD-Site.

It is interesting to see the richness and variety of graphical
presentations and product options and services included. It is becoming
a very important and modern advancement of those libraries. We believe
it would be good that these institutions publish their web addresses, so
the colleagues in the list can see working models and useful examples
for themselves.

However, in some cases (not many) have made some adjustments to conceal
the origin and intellectual property of the applications. That must be
corrected.

ABCD is a FOSS application suite, which is also free. But being free
does not mean it has no authors and intellectual property, but these
rights have been released under the LGPL license, but they never
abandoned "fatherhood". In the terminology of Creative Commons, is the
idea of "attribution".

If you look at the source code of software modules, will see many of
them have declared their authors. This information should not be erased
or hidden. Similarly it is wrong to hide the intellectual origins in the
public pages on the Web where it is declared.

In the case of public interfaces, intellectual paternity claims appear
as footnotes to the main pages of the modules (in their language versions)

_In Central module:_
ABCD version xxx
20xx BIREME - Centro Latino Americano e do Caribe de Informação em
Ciências da Saúde
http://www.bireme.br

_OPAC ABCD-SITE:_
BVS Site version xxx (c) BIREME/OPS/OMS

_interfaz IAH:_
Search engine: iAH v3.1.1 powered by WWWISIS
BIREME/OPS/OMS - Centro Latinoamericano y del Caribe de Información en
Ciencias de la Salud

It is not necessary to preserve logos or banners included in the
original distribution package, or any means of graphic identification in
any part of the pages, that is totally free. But it must be retained the
intellectual property declaration at the foot of the main pages.

Regards