[Isis-users] GENISIS - BROWSE FEATURE

Chockalingam Sugumaran c_sugumaran at rediffmail.com
Fri Mar 9 18:41:22 CET 2012

Thank you Mr. Rajasekharan
C. Sugumaran

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:35:04 +0530  wrote

Dear
Shri Sugumaran/all,

Obviously
it will work.
You
can place browsing classifiers such as “1000-1999”, “2000-2999” and so on as
links on the home page itself, by editing it. If
you allow your common sense to work well, you can do wonders with Genisis.
Winisis with Genisis is a wonderful programme. You can add text, image, audio,
video etc into your collection, develop them into a digital library and get them
displayed at ease. The advantage of it is that nothing will happen to the
original documents unlike as in Greenstone or some other applications which
convert the documents into another format. If something wrong happens in
between, there is a possibility of losing the original documents if you don’t
keep them separately right from the original set. Winisis with Genisis does not build the
collection. It only takes the metadata and works as an interface to display the
original documents. So
my remark is that it is the easiest and the most useful prototype digital
library far useful than any other general digital library application, in a
sense. But we did not use it properly. That does not mean that Greenstone,
which I love so much, is bad. It is also another wonder which can be put to many
potential uses. Every
application has its own disadvantages. One problem of Winisis-Genisis is that it
is for the earlier versions of Windows. It does not work on 64 bit computer.
There are lack of features like
non-compliance with Unicode, user uploading not possible and such other things
for Winiss-Genisis.

It
is my view that many librarians have not been using the potential of many of
such applications effectively as reasonably possible. In many places, the
institutional environment remains bad. In some other cases, the librarians did
not have the ability to use them. In some institutions, they were not exposed to
the importance and possibilities by senior librarians and library schools.
Seniors have no chance to learn as Juniors can because of the obvious
difficulties in going ahead with the technologies that are only a decade or more
old. Now
it seems to me that the librarians should keep up with the emerging trends and
run fast. The technologies have become so simple. A few clicks are enough
to create so many applications. Greenstone is so easy to use unlike its earlier
versions. Librarians should go a little ahead too. Content Management Systems
like “Drupal” and Learning Management Systems like “Moodle” are what librarians
should familiarize with. Self learning of them is possible with good manuals.
Many teachers and even computer professionals do not know how to use them. If
librarians learn and use them, they can become significant partners in education
– with the help of teachers, but not alone - rather than remaining as mere
distributors of books in physical form or digital.

Regards,

Rajasekharan