[Isis-users] ABCD version 2.0 - English announcement
Abel R. Monteiro
monteiroabel at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 14:00:05 CET 2012
Egbert & Ernesto ,
I'm interested to be
registered as volunteer to work on some of the tasks.
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 10:27:43 -0200
From: spinaker at adinet.com.uy
To: isis-users at iccisis.org
Subject: [Isis-users] ABCD version 2.0 - English announcement
Versión de este mensaje
en español se envía por separado
The ABCD Suite v.1 was launched in December 2009, and as you know by
your participation in this list, tens of institutes have installed
it either partially or completely, as a public application or as an
internal development within the institution.
During these 2 years several corrections and minor improvements on
ABCD have been published as 'patches', evaluation workshops have
been held, trainings have been organized in many countries, both in
presential format and online.
Anyway, the technology keeps advancing as well as the needs, so we
understand that actualization of ABCD is necessary in a way that
maintains compatibility with the technology, responding to new needs
and adding new functions.
We want to announce that we are about to launch an actualisation and
updating project for ABCD, aiming to publish a version 2.0 mid 2012.
We have already engaged about 10 professional experts of this list
along with financial input from four institutes for some specialized
But, since the project is large, we will again need the contribution
and co-operation of all of you. As we did in the year 2009, when
more than 80 persons from 21 countries have worked together very
successfull, now we are calling to combine forces for the version
2.0 of ABCD.
In this month March we will start registering volunteers who can
spend part of their time to work on different tasks. We describe the
elements needed under here.
In a few days we will explain how to communicate and register for
these activities, which will be divided in groups with a
co-ordinator for each.
Some of the tasks envisaged are :
- Test the different modules in either Windows or Linux
- Translation of messages for the new functions in several
- Update online help-pages (or write new ones) to cover the new
elements or work out examples
- Translate these pages from Spanish or English into all four
languages: Spanish, English, French, Portugese
- Review the manuals and update them
- We need tow or three programmers with experience in PHP,
- We need one or two experts in Java
We invite everybody who has installed ABCD, who is working with one
or more of its modules and have had problems, to send us suggestions
and reports on problems etc.
Please don't send these to the list, we want to provide specific
channels for this information.
Preliminary list of improvements for ABCD v2.0
- Compatibility with PHP 5.3 or higher
- Change all calls to IsisScript by direct CISIS-calls
- Complete the Central Loans module : reservations, online
user-interaction and debugging on problems reported (e.g. days/hour
- Finish the options of using the separate copies database or the
copies kept in the catalog
- Thesaurus management module (new feature)
- new OAI module (replacing the old one which had problems)
- Digital Library feature (new feature)
- Add a 'traffic-control' function for the Update Inverted File
function to avoid locks (new function)
- Debugging other reported problems
- Simplify MARC-worksheets and formats
- Replace ABCD Site v.4.1 with version BVS Site 5.1.11
- Finish reporting module
- Add SDI function (new)
- Update the help documentation and translations
- Update SeCS-Web and finish documentation
- Mirror sites and servers for download and distribution of ABCD
- EmpWeb - finish some pending issues
- etc, etc, etc
- THIS LIST IS OPEN FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS !
Don't send them now, soon we will inform you about this in a more
There will be a mid-term evaluation workshop for experts, end of May
(participation only by invitation, participants are expected to pay
their own expenses)
Delivery of beta version in July 2012
Delivery of version 2.0 end of August 2012
If an institute wishes to contribute with programming/coding time or
financial input, allow us to co-ordinate. Send an e-mail to our
personal addresses to Egbert de Smet and Ernesto Spinak.
Egbert & Ernesto
( ) ( )
| | Ernesto Spinak | |
| | spinaker at adinet.com.uy | |
| | Montevideo, Uruguay | |
| | tel/fax (598) 2622-3352 | |
| | celular (598) 99612238 | |
( ) ( )
isis-users mailing list
isis-users at iccisis.org
To manage your own subscription options go to: http://lists.iccisis.org/listinfo/isis-users
Or contact Henk Rutten: hlrutten at xs4all.nl
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the isis-users