[Isis-users] Inverted file update from commandline

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at ua.ac.be
Sun May 13 17:54:36 CEST 2012

Peter,

I forgot to mention this, which I should have done first :
the entry in marc.fst with the REF-function to the copies-database is not standard and in fact not needed at all. It is (or was) there indeed with a purpose, i.e. to allow searching in the catalog by library where the titles are kept (that is v35 in copies-database), but this is a non-standard search option in MARC and not needed. Only it shows that it is  possible to do so : to search in one database by criteria from another.
Many ABCD-users e.g. ask for 'how can I search barcodes in my MARC-catalog ?', whereas the barcode is NOT a MARC21 field as it belongs, intellectually, to the loanobjects or copies-databases, i.e. the physical copies of the titles, not the titles themselves.
By using the same technique ( REF(L()) ) in the marc.fst one could also add barcodes as a search option in MARC. But then in ABCD the marc.par file should indicate where to find the copies (or loanobjects) database, and with mx on the command-line you need to create a cipar-file and mention it in the command.
In you case you might therefore also just drop that line from the FST to keep things simple.

Egbert de Smet
IOIW / U&S