[Isis-users] Last presentation online of CISIS & ABCD

spinaker spinaker at adinet.com.uy
Sun May 27 23:29:03 CEST 2012

*_Report on the 4th and last online presentation from the Antwerp workshop_*

Last Friday 25th the last video-conference planned was presented on the
current progress on the ABCD Suite. As you all know already, during this
week we were working in a closed workshop to prepare the next release of
ABCD, organized by Egbert de Smet and sponsored by his project DOCBIBLAS
of VLIR, and the videoconferences were realized in co-operation with
Bireme, who provided the infrastructure and also did 2 technical
presentations.

The presentation of Friday had as its topic /_ABCD: general
introduction, new functions and Digital Library_/. With 53 institutional
connections we estímate that it was followed by about 100 persons in
many countries. The presentation lasted one hour and a half.

_Main topics dealt with :_

I.*Existing functions of ABCD explained to WinISIS users*

-Simple installation for Windows from a Zip archive, and a package
prepared for Debian/Linux

-Pre-defined structures for MARC21, CEPAL, UNIMARC

-Creation of new database structures

-Loans, acquisitions, statistics

-Site with CMS and meta-search

-Advanced Loans system

*II.**New functions*

-Multiple database folders

-Simplified MARC21

-Copies management in catalog database (for simple systems)

-Many "bugs" corrected

-Small improvements in data-entry

-Digital Library

-"mirrors" servers for distribution of ABCD

The presentation showed some of the improvements which were developed in
the past week by Guilda Ascencio as a result of the workshop activities.
Egbert presented the Digital Library module which allows dealing with
documents up to 1 Mb in a similar way as done by dSpace or Greenstone.

The participants asked various questions, which due to limited time
could not be addressed or explained in depth. Therefore we invite you to
send them to the ISIS-list : isis-users at iccisis.org
<mailto:isis-users at iccisis.org>

The video is available at:

-https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2012-05-25.0255.M.9C7C0C8797B92C9FF9AEB7AC0D8BB9.vcr&sid=1110