[Isis-users] ABCD - we need beta testers for the new release

spinaker spinaker at adinet.com.uy
Wed Nov 28 16:50:30 CET 2012

*Este mensaje se publica en español por separado**
*
Dear colleagues

The development of a new version of ABCD is at the stage of starting to
be tried and tested in order to detect and correct any problems.

The tests should be done initially on Windows, although in a few days we
will also provide a Linux version for testing.

The name of this version will be "ABCD v.1.2 transitional", which will
be followed within months by version 1.3, possibly in March 2013

There is also in development, by Egbert de Smet, the package "ABCD
v.2.0" which will be released soon, possibly by that date.

The difference between version 1.2/1.3 and version 2.0 is that the last
version includes the module "Digital Library" which was introduced by
Egbert in Antwerp meeting in May this year, requiring additional Isis
technology which is ready and in a testing phase.

Well, then we need the help of experienced professionals in ABCD, who
understand the basics of installation and configuration of Apache, and
devote a little time to do an orderly evaluation.

We will deliver two packages, one with Apache 2.2 and other with Apache
2.4 for Windows. Both packages have included  PHP 5.3.11 and Yaz
previously compiled.

The tests should be done on Windows 7/32 or 64 bits, either one or both
(could also be Windows 2003 or 2008). ABCD works on XP, but we are not
mainly interested in XP.

For the testing you should uninstall the Apache you have in the PC,
otherwise you will have conflict between versions.
For the "testers" we'll inlcude detailed installation instructions and a
list of all the new features and fixes that are included in the package.

The test period is one week.

We will receive proposals until next Friday 30th, and we'll send FTP
address with username and password to download the packages to
colleagues selected for testing.

Thanks in advance