[Isis-users] CONSULTA ABCD

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at ua.ac.be
Thu Jun 27 10:57:09 CEST 2013

As for the assumption only 64-bits software can make optimal use of today's hardware : there is a huge debate going on with computer science experts on this subject, and the conclusion until now comes down to the observation that the only real difference (and advantage) of 64-bits software is the capability to address more memory (larger files etc.), i.e. above 4 Gb. This is rarely the case unless in very high-brow applications. To the contrary, using 64-bits causes larger (in fact : double) chunks of data to be moved in and out of memory all the time, so it is not even sure it means any gains in speed etc.
Otherwise also 32-bits applications fully can use the capacity of dual-core (and quad-core) processors, multi-threaded applications etc.

Generally speaking 64-bits has been accepted much more in Linux and OSX environments than in Windows.