[Isis-users] ABCD & HEBREW

Werner Hillebrecht Werner.Hillebrecht at moe.gov.na
Tue Mar 12 17:01:00 CET 2013

Does anybody know of a Unicode table for an "African" Latin character set? It would have to accommodate a variety of accented Latin characters that are not among the common Western European characters, including characters with a subscript ^ , as well as the four (or five, in some San languages)  Khoisan clicks which pose a particular problem for us in Southern Africa because they are not based on modified Latin characters. We have found a "home-made" solution for our previous CDS/ISIS for DOS databases which is however a bit awkward and not quite satisfactory, as it is based on declaring certain ASCII graphic characters as alphabetical by means of the ISISAC.TAB , and had to change the ANSIOEM.TAB and OEMANSI.TAB tables accordingly when we moved to WINISIS. We have not yet tested whether this would work in ABCD but we would be very happy with a Unicode solution that would accommodate all our 13 local languages in Namibia.

Werner Hillebrecht
National Archives of Namibia
werner.hillebrecht at moe.gov.na