[Isis-users] JISIS - Problems Importing ISO Files - and PFT Formats

Jean-Claude Dauphin jc.dauphin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 18:54:09 CEST 2014

Hi Giuzzo,

> a) Repeatable subfields. when you use the % symbol to repeat only some
subfields of a certain field (and not the whole field), the Import wizard
cuts all the part of the field before the % symbol . For example: TAG 1
(Title) has
> many subfields delimiters: abcdefghi. If a record is "^aTitle^efirst
description%esecond description" it cuts the Title and the first
description. If you repeat the whole field beginning from the first
subfield the import is OK. (The old CDS-
> ISIS Export/Import option worked well in both cases.)

I am not sure but the use of % symbol for repeatable subfields is not a
valid MARC ISO2709 symbol. Repeatable subfields are simply repeated as
 "^aTitle^efirst
description^esecond description". This is probably an ISIS particular
format for repeatable fields. When you export the data in ISO2709 format,
it is strange to get the % separator character followed by a subfield
letter .

> b) The ISIS pft formats were not upper/lower case sensitive as to the
subfield delimiter (V1^a or V1^A). It seems that the same formats imported
in JISIS are case sensitive (?). So I need to change all the subfield
delimiters to one of the > two formats (upper/lower). Is it correct? - The
problem is that someone used the upper case, someone the lower(!)
Well, it's true subfield delimiters are case sensitive in the PFTs but it
should correspond to what you have in your data, i.e. if you have ^aTitle
in your data, it should be ^a. It's only a global change in your PFTs.

> c) How can I manage the REF function used in ISIS pft formats in JISIS?
TECA.pft has a REF(LV27) call, in order to display the contents of the
single parts of a many-volume book. Is it possible to translate it somehow
in JISIS pft
> formats?

Have a look to page 57 and 62 of the J-ISIS Reference Manual. It should be
something like REF(L(V27),<format>)

Hope this will help,

Best,

Jean-Claude Dauphin

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Giuzzo Barbaro <g.barbaro at mclink.net>wrote:

>  Hi to all
> I'm trying to import into JISIS a 6.000 record ISIS-WinISIS database
> called TECA (it is a database used in many Italian libraries) and I get the
> following problems:
> a) Repeatable subfields. when you use the % symbol to repeat only some
> subfields of a certain field (and not the whole field), the Import wizard
> cuts all the part of the field before the % symbol . For example: TAG 1
> (Title) has many subfields delimiters: abcdefghi. If a record is
> "^aTitle^efirst description%esecond description" it cuts the Title and the
> first description. If you repeat the whole field beginning from the first
> subfield the import is OK. (The old CDS-ISIS Export/Import option worked
> well in both cases.)
> b) The ISIS pft formats were not upper/lower case sensitive as to the
> subfield delimiter (V1^a or V1^A). It seems that the same formats imported
> in JISIS are case sensitive (?). So I need to change all the subfield
> delimiters to one of the two formats (upper/lower). Is it correct? - The
> problem is that someone used the upper case, someone the lower(!)
> c) How can I manage the REF function used in ISIS pft formats in JISIS?
> TECA.pft has a REF(LV27) call, in order to display the contents of the
> single parts of a many-volume book. Is it possible to translate it somehow
> in JISIS pft formats?
>
> Thanks for your help
> Bye
> Giuzzo Barbaro