[Isis-users] ABCD - RDA WORKSHOP IN THE EAST AFRICAN REGION

Solomon Mutai skmutai at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 08:45:22 CEST 2016

Dear All,

This is to briefly report that we had a very successful workshop on ABCD –
RDA features at the Nelson Mandela African Institute of science and
Technology, Arusha, Tanzania on 29th - 31st March 2016. This actually
followed the Cuenca workshop. The main presenters were Prof. Egbert de Smet
and Piet de Keyser. There was very good representation from most of the
Eastern African countries – mainly from Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Kenya
and Mozambique. From this workshop, there is a very strong reception of
ABCD suite of software in the region, especially evidenced by the number of
migrations from other OSS library software to ABCD. Also there were
requests new installations especially in Uganda and Tanzania, this of
course require regional support.

Participants really welcomed the new developments especially inclusion of
RDA and by extension FBRB; the new UNICODE support (especially our
Ethiopian colleagues who use Amharic alphabets); ODDS (which Moi
University, Kenya have implemented); DublinCore repository and many more
features which Egbert showed the participants. Since most of the
participants are English speaking, we thought it would be better if the
English Wiki could be build faster. With this then, we do request for
rights to be able to do some “rough” translation to English, of course to
be moderated by someone who knows both Spanish and English.

regards, Solomon