[Isis-users] Picklists en ABCD 1.5

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at uantwerpen.be
Fri Jul 14 11:46:59 CEST 2017

Wenke,

I am afraid the data-entry script at this moment always will put the first column of a picklist in subfield a and the second column in subfield b. See e.g. the picklist for 'user type' in the demo users-database.

But there is a solution. In fact with 130 options I would suggest it anyway : use an authority database instead of a picklist. In this case you have to put the value of your 1st column in v1 and the column 2 code in v2. Then you can use 'list as' and 'extract as' in the FDT to define the picklist behavior : list as becomes 'v2' and extract as 'v1'.
With mx you can even convert the existing text-file which serves as your picklist to such database in one run :
mx seq=picklist.txt  create=picklist now -all
supposing your picklist-file is named 'picklist.txt' and your picklist-database is also named 'picklist' - so change whatever you need to.
Then in your FDT use a database as picklist-type and put the 'list as' and 'extract as' values.

If you want to stick to the text-based picklist type, you just have to accept the two forced subfields, deal with the existing tricks to manage repeatable subfields and use the PFT-techniques to show/extract what you need. I think the database-approach is more practical.

I hope this helps.