[Isis-users] json 2 isis

Nicolas Rucks nrucks at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 17:52:50 CET 2017

Hi Gus,
Only some hints.

I don't know if there is any Python program out there that deals directly with ISIS databases (that would be interesting).
You would probably need to work on something that parses JSON and creates output in some "importable" format for ISIS.
Within that context, there are a few options to import records into an ISIS database.

Anyway, you must bear in my both the power and limitations of an ISIS database.
Simply put: an isis database is a sequence or set of
	(almost) any amout of records and
	every record is set of any amout of occurrences of Fields.
	Each field is identified with a number, and ocurrences contain chains of characters.

I usually deal with ISIS databases with CISIS tools (many people do).
http://wiki.bireme.org/es/index.php/CISIS

I would suggest that you explore either of these two normalized structures : ISO2709, or "ID2I".

Any file (set of records) that respects ISO2709 will be importable into an isis database, with the mx tool.
mx recordstoimport.iso append=myisisdb now
That would imply that your python program reads JSON and creates ISO2709. I don't find that particularly useful, unless you already have something that converts from JSON to ISO2709.

Another option, other than ISO2709 would be ID2I/I2ID:
This uses an ad-hoc format, easy to understand and work with:

!ID 1
!v001!Contents of field one of record one
!v030!Contents of field thirty of record one
!ID 2
!v001!Contents of field one of record two
!v030!Contents of field thirty of record two
!v789!Contents of field 789 of record two

etc. Actually, you don't even have to number the records if yu don't want to.

ID2I would turn that plain text format into an ISIS database.

I find it less burdensome.

• In short:
JSON =>
ISO2709 or "ID format" =>
import with MX utilities =>
ISIS database

JSON => ISIS
That would be something, and probably a lot of work.

I hope this helps.
Check the documentation.

Saludos,
Nicolas Rucks,