[Isis-users] Import RIS Files using MX

spinaker spinaker at adinet.com.uy
Sat Mar 10 19:25:10 CET 2018

Ok, as Egbert says, conversion of records is not a task for scary people
with a weak heart
First of all you have to know the format in which the data is received
and to know better the format to which you want to convert it.
In the present challenge of our colleague Adagilson of the prestigious
institution Fiocruz of Brazil, he wants to convert records in .ris
format (probably from Scopus) into LILACS format of Bireme.

Well, let's give some ideas, but a detailed work comes at the level of
consulting. But if you have faith, and are stubborn enough you will
achieve it (do not look at me) :-)

Let's start with an example file with four records exported from Scopus
in RIS format.
This file if you open it with notepad surely will appear with all the
lines continous without a line break and in UTF chars.
To insert the line breaks (if you work in Windows) you should open it
with Wordpad and then save it. This makes the miracle.
The example file is in the attachment: export.ris (already prepared for
Windows)

Then run the followin script (one line at a time, first)

*mx seq=export.ris lw=8000 pft=v1/ now tell=100 > xxx0.txt
mx seq=xxx0.txt lw=8000 create=xxx1 now -all tell=100
mx xxx1 "proc=if v1*0.10:'  - ' then else 'd.' fi" copy=xxx1 now -all
tell=100
mx xxx1 iso=xxx1.iso now -all tell=100
mx iso=xxx1.iso create=xxx2 now -all tell=100

:: gris is a gizmo file prepared to convert RIS into LILACS
:: the gizmo is part of the attachment
mx xxx2 gizmo=gris pft=v1/ lw=8000 now  tell=100 >> xxx2.txt

:: Open the file xxx2.txt and add as the first line: !ID000000
(required by id2i.exe )
:: and delete the very last line of the file
id2i xxx2.txt create=xxx3
mx xxx3 gizmo=gutf8ans create=xxx4 now -all tell=100

it is recommended also   mxcp xxx4 create=xxx5 clean tell=100
*
Well, now comes the "detailed conversion" part or tuning
For example, the descriptor field v87 must have ^d at the beginning, the
pages in v14 have ^ fnn ^ lnn etc
This is done with specific procs of LILACS

But, what if one wants to convert the source file to another format, for
example CEPAL or MARC, etc?
How do we know the tags that the RIS format uses (or any other that we
use as input?)
That is, how do we prepare a tailor-made gizmo GRIS?
In order to do that we have to scan the tags used in the source file

This is the way to do
Take the intermediate file xxx2
*mx xxx2 "proc='Gsplit/clean=1=-'"  "fst=1 0 v1[1]" fullinv=xxx2 tell=100
ifkeys xxx2   > tags.txt*
this will report all the tags present in the source file
Now you have to prepare a table like the following

*A2 *

*!v010!*

*Author (other)*

*AB *