[Isis-users] Instalar ABCD. ¿En Windows o en Linux ?

fred_train fred_train at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 21 13:40:18 CEST 2024

Hello Jesus
My 2 cents:

  * First of all: ABCD is currently almost equal for Windows and Linux:
    They have the same version.
    Executables (like mx) and databases are of course dependent on the OS.
    Note that it is possible to transfer data from Linux to Windows and
    vice versa if you want to switch later.
  * The very last version can be obtained from
    https://github.com/ABCD-DEVCOM/ABCD2
    Please check also https://abcd-community.org/.
    The demo is the very last version and the installers are a bit older.
    This website has also additional material, a forum and much more.
    This website is actively maintained.
  * The advantage for installing on Windows is that a lot of people know
    a bit about it.
    My main objections are : it is not really multi user and there are a
    lot of specials: good for the end user but sometimes problematic for
    server behavior.
    Multi user in this context is that a normal ABCD installation has
    multiple people maintaining the system on OS level. Depending on the
    organization they have different tasks and should not interfere.
  * The main advantage for installing on Unix/Linux/Ubuntu is that this
    OS is designed for multi user usage.
    It is a very stable platform with a large maintenance and help
    community.
    The only disadvantage may be that the commands are different from
    Windows and, depending on the organization, less people have knowledge.
  * Clients (the real users) can use windows and/or linux as they use
    only a browser. ABCD is not aware of the client OS and does not care
    either.
  * My choice and advice is that your server targets for Unix/Linux/Ubuntu.

Hope this helps

Regards

Fred