[Isis-users] Using the new mailing list

Kali kali at kalimotxo.net
Tue Dec 7 14:24:11 CET 2010

(Una copia de este mensaje en Español ha sido previamente enviada)

The new mailing list is based on GNU's mailing system Mailman. You can
find useful information in the project's official website:

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/index.html

Next I will try to give a hint on the most common and basic procedures
to use the isis-users mailing list:

MANAGING YOUR OWN SUBSCRIPTION

In order to change your subscription preferences (as for example the
mail format, the periodicity of the mailings, etc) you need to use the
web interface available at the site iccisis.org. To access and change
your settings you will need to go to the following url:

http://lists.iccisis.org/options/isis-users/(your_email_address)

Example:

http://lists.iccisis.org/options/isis-users/kali@kalimotxo.net

The web interface is available in several languages. In the page header
you will find a dropdown list and a button to select the language of
your choice, and once you press the button the interface will be
displayed in your language.

Once you access this interface the system will ask for your subscription
password. This password has been automatically and randomly set by the
system during the import process from the old mailing list, so you will
probably not know it. Do not panic, down at that page you'll find a
button "Remind" under a big title "Password Reminder". Clicking on this
button you should receive at your mailbox an automatic message
containing the password assigned to you by the system. You can later
change that password to anything you might want for easy remembering it,
once you enter the management interface.

The email received will look something like this:

You, or someone posing as you, has requested a password reminder for
your membership on the mailing listisis-users at iccisis.org.  You will
need this password in order to change your membership options (e.g. do
you want regular delivery or digest delivery), and having this
password makes it easier for you to unsubscribe from the mailing list.

You are subscribed with the address:kali at kalimotxo.net

Your isis-users password is: my_password_is_not_public

To make changes to your membership options, log in and visit your
options web page:

     http://lists.iccisis.org/options/isis-users/kali%40kalimotxo.net

Once you know your password you will be able to access the manage
interface. There you can change the password to whatever you can easily
remember.

You will also be able to change the email address in which you want to
receive the list's messages. The text in the page is very clear and easy
to understand, and it's possible to change the interface to another
language at any moment as indicated above, so it should be easy for
anybody to change any setting.

Another option available on this page is to cancel your subscription to
the list. If you wish to stop receiving emails from the list, this is
the best choice.

Below you will also find some options relative to the reception of your
messages, such as those to temporarily disable the reception of messages
(being able to resume it later), change the reception mode to digest
(only one unique message every some time including all the messages from
the list during that period of time) and some other options which we
will not discuss in detail here. You can check on the documentation
referred at the beginning of this email for more details on those
settings. If you are unsure of what each option means is better to leave
them as they are. By default you will receive a copy of every each email
sent to the list into your mailbox.

There is an interesting option on this list: You will be able to select
the language which Mailman will use to communicate with you. If you
don't understand English (the default language) or you are simply more
confident using your native language, you can select any from the long
list of available languages. From that moment on, every message
generated by the system for you will be sent in this language, including
subscription and unsubscription messages, or digest messages.

Once you finish changing or reviewing your subscription settings you can
log out this interface using the button "Log out" in the page header. Do
not forget to log the session out if you are using a shared computer.

SENDING EMAIL TO THE LIST

Now you have reviewed your subscription (and provided you didn't cancel
the subscription) you can send emails to the list. (NOTICE: It is NOT
strictly necessary to proceed through the above steps in order to send
emails, the method provided is OPTIONAL only if you wish to modify any
setting).

Emails sent to the address:

isis-users at iccisis.org

are automatically forwareded to all the list subscriptors. If you are
reading this email it means you are already subscribed to the list, and
you do NOT need to perform any extra action like asking to include your
email to the list. ANY email sent to this address (including
subscription or cancellation demands) will be sent to ALL the users and
it might generate an undesired effect of SPAM, angering your fellow
co-listers. Please, do not forget this detail: Think on the community!!

When you send an email to the list you will, by default, receive a copy
of itself. This option is modifiable (not getting a copy of your own
submissions) in the settings page above described.

CANCELING YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE LIST

If for any given reason you decide to leave the list, you need to log in
the settings page and mark the checkbox with the text "/Yes, I really
want to unsubscribe/" and following press the "Unsubscribe" button.
Unsubsribing by this means will cancel your presence in this list
immediately, and you will stop receiving messages from the list. The
last one you'll see will be the unsubscribe notification.

  That's all folks, I hope this small guide will be useful for everybody
not familiar with the mailing list system, and hopefully we will make
this list useful for everyone. I wish to kindly remind everyone the most
basic behaviour rules for any communication interface, such as
respecting everyone and willing to help, but also trying to keep the
topics and avoid content-less flamewars. In the end, this list exists
only for giving help to all the users of Isis worldwide.

If anybody has more doubts on how to use Mailman, do not hesitate to
contact me on my personal email address (available in the sender field
of this email). I hope to be of help.

Kind regards,

-Adolfo Hernandez (Jr)-