[Isis-users] Old CDS-ISIS archives

Luciano Ramalho luciano.ramalho at bireme.org
Sat Apr 9 14:48:33 CEST 2011

2011/4/8 Henk Rutten <hlrutten at xs4all.nl>:
> It’s more a matter of lack of time. It should be possible to convert the old
> archives, not to Mailman, but for instance to an ABCD database. The only
> thing is, that we didn’t have time to do it yet. I’m very sorry!

Hello, Henk,

I am willing to help preserve and re-publish that archive.

My proposal would be to convert each e-mail to an HTML page, with
links to previous and next message by date and tables of contents by
month. Then it would be just a matter of uploading the HTML to a
public site and integrate a Google search box.

I'd also investigate organizing the messages by thread, but since that
is more complicated I'd initially focus on publishing everything
evaluate a way to organize by threads as well.

Henk, if you can give me access to the archive files I'd immediately
put them in a public Web site for anyone to download them in bulk, and
start designing the conversion process, keeping the present mailing
list informed of the progress. The resulting tools, datasets and files
would be shared with all, so that anyone may reuse or republish them.

Cheers,

Luciano Ramalho

PS. This is a personal project that I'd do in my spare time, as a
programmer and librarian interested in helping preserve this resource
for the history of computers in libraries.

2011/4/8 Henk Rutten <hlrutten at xs4all.nl>:
> Dear Renate,
>
> It’s more a matter of lack of time. It should be possible to convert the old
> archives, not to Mailman, but for instance to an ABCD database. The only
> thing is, that we didn’t have time to do it yet. I’m very sorry!
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Henk Rutten

Luciano Ramalho
supervisor de desenvolvimento || software development lead
BIREME/OPAS/OMS || BIREME/PAHO/WHO