[Isis-users] Previous mailing list archive available for download

Luciano Ramalho luciano.ramalho at bireme.org
Fri Apr 15 00:15:10 CEST 2011

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to a huge effort on the part of Henk Rutten, we now have a
single mailbox file containing almost the entire history of the
<CDS-ISIS at nic.surfnet.nl> mailing list. It's a 38 MB file
(compressed), located here:

http://ramalho.pro.br/etc/isisarch.zip

The isisarch.zip file contains just one file, called isisarch.mbox
(110 MB uncompressed), which is a standard mailbox file (basically all
the messages Henk sent me concatenated end-to-end).

There are many tools available to read mbox files. E-mail client
applications such as Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbid are able
to import that as well. The file was generated with Thunderbird.

The mbox file in turn contains 240 messages which Henk sent me, and
more than 220 of them are monthly message logs.

In other words, what we now have is a single file containing hundreds
of e-mail messages, each of which contains dozens of nested messages
of the old CDS-ISIS mailing list.

My first priority is to make everything public as soon as possible, so
in the interest of agility I just uploaded this file as soon as I
generated it.

There were some difficulties with attachments, so the file above does
not include any attachments, but I believe it does contain all the
message logs that Henk sent me. I have not yet had time to really
inspect the contents of that file, but I will do it over the next week
or so.

Even though the work is not finished we are already in a much better
situation now. Yesterday these archives were in the form of more than
220 messages inside Henk's personal mailbox. Now we have a single
downloadable file.

I will let you all know when I publish additional files in this
conversion process, including the attachments.

Henk deserves many thanks and a big round of applause for all that he
already did to preserve this archive.

Also thanks to Egbert De Smet and Ernesto Spinak for their support to
this effort in private messages to Henk and I.

Best regards,

--
Luciano Ramalho
supervisor de desenvolvimento || software development lead