[Isis-users] UDC and language versions

Alan Hopkinson a.hopkinson at mdx.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 13:09:39 CEST 2011

Please forgive this slightly off-topic but this list is a convenient way of reaching people in libraries who are using many different languages.

I am forwarding this on behalf of Aida Slavic biut as the Chairman of the UDC Consortium I have an interest in this myself

Alan Hopkinson
Technical Manager (Library Services)
Middlesex University
Learning Resources
The Burroughs
London NW4 4BT

Phone +44 20 8411 5238

FAX   +44 20 8411 5163

In 2009 the UDC Consortium started an international project of translating abridged UDC schedules of  over 2000 classes  in many languages of the world.

This is available online for free use.

Through the voluntary efforts of colleagues worldwide this is now translated so far into 37 languages  http://www.udcc.org/udcsummary/php/index.php

This being accessible is of great help in teaching and training classification, and the Consortium will be providing various downloads and data dumps as soon as most of the languages are completed.

There are almost 100 volunteers worldwide translating these schedules into their languages using the online tool. This set is also mapped to Dewey Summaries and the Consortium hopes to provide mapping to other classification systems and to release this as 'linked data'.

We also plan to provide an good subject alphabetical index to this set. A number of library software developers have expressed an interest to build some of the languages into their products.

We are now looking whether there is any interest for this to be translated in Vietnamese, Korean, Arabic, Afrikaans  or other languages that are not yet available online.

If you are interested to join the translation team please contact udcs at udcc.org If you speak a minority language, you will be pleased to see your language up there with the others.

Aida

--

Dr Aida Slavic