[Isis-users] Excel a WinIsis

Chockalingam Sugumaran c_sugumaran at rediffmail.com
Sun Nov 13 18:31:26 CET 2011

Dear Mr. Airam,

If you are having the data in all column in excel, and there is no repeatable field or subfield, the DB3ISO will work.

If you (1) dont have data in some column, and if you are having repeatable field or subfield, the DB3ISO may not give good result.

When I was having the excel with above (second) situation, I have used the following method.
It worked fine.

(1) Convert the "column data" into "line data" with record seperator and field identifier (Constant Prefix to the column data - what are all data available) (with repeatable field identifier, what are all repeatable fields) through a macro in excel.

(2) Then the line data is converted to ISO using "FANGORN" software.

(3) Then the ISO will be imported to WINISIS data base, which is initiated with corresponding tag in FDT, which was identified by FANGORN software.

So,

(1)If you sending me a model excel data and your FDT requirement, I will convert the model and tell the exact procedure for it.

or
 (2) I will send the excel with macro, so that you yourself can do it. But you should know the Fangorn prog. also.

Well kindly reply

Yours
C. Sugumaran

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 00:38:0530  wrote
>Hola a toda la comunidad,

Soy Ingeniero en Ciencias Inform�ticas y me estoy desarrollando en el

Centro de Estudios del ICRT en Cuba, las bases de datos que hay en la

biblioteca estan sobre Excel y me propongo migrarlas a WinIsis, ya logre

realizar una prueba con el DB3ISO y los manuales correspondientes. Mi

pregunta es la siguiente:

Casi todas las BD bibliograficas contienen campos con subcampos que en una

tabla Excel seria una columna por cada campo, como logro al migrar a

WinIsis que los datos no me salgan corridos y asignar varias columnas

Excel al campo con subcampos presente en WinIsis.

Soy principiante en todo lo que tenga que ver con BD documetnales pues

solo estudie Gestores de BD Relacionales.

Saludos, y gracias por los aportes que brindan.

isis-users at iccisis.org

Or contact Henk Rutten: hlrutten at xs4all.nl

C. Sugumaran
Scientist / Engr 'SE'