[Isis-users] ISIS and EXCEL

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at ua.ac.be
Fri Oct 14 09:34:21 CEST 2011

Hello,

if you want to drop subfields markers and cope with repeatable fields for an Excel export, you have to do the following :
1. for the subfields : print them without markers, either by using mode 'H' (e.g. mhl) or by separately referencing the subfields so that you can define the separator yourself, e.g. if v11 contains : ^aGuevara^bFidel
mhl, v11 will print Guevara, Fidel
but :
v11^b,|; |v11^a will print : Fidel; Guevara
so you can not only manipulate their sequence (here it is reversed) but also define the separator (here  a '; ').

2. for the repeatable fields : you will need to print all occurrences with a separator into one single field as Excel doesn't know repeatable fields.
So if v11 contains 2 occurrences : Descriptor1 and Descriptor2, use the following command to print them separated by a dash (-) :
to produce :
Descriptor1 - Descriptor2

It is then the responsibility of the software dealing with these comma-delimted data to see (or not) the delimiters and to use them to deal with each occurrence separately.