[Isis-users] MARC file import

spinaker spinaker at adinet.com.uy
Wed Mar 13 22:40:35 CET 2013

Renate

There are three features to note when importing/exporting marc files
with Cisis or Winisis, etc using ISO 2709 standard

 1. length of the line, wich in Isis is 80 chars (default) but you can
    modify it using 0 or marc
      * including the end of line control, Isis uses two chars (LF+CR)
        by default or only one char in .mrc files
 2. subfield deliminter, which is *^ * in Isis, but in marc it is a non
    representable ascii char (below 32)  \asc 29 in .mrc
 3. leader bytes transfered in the first 20 bytes of the ISO file, and
    is not accesible neither in Winisis or Pft

Items 2 and 3 are implemented in Winisis, but item 3 is a feature only
of CISIS

Therefore when you want to get the three items you have to do it using
MX command,
I'd recommed to use 1660 version or MX, because it gets all the leader bytes

Let's say you want to import a .mrc file, from Library of Congress or
Gutenberg project,

*mx iso=marc=source.mrc isotag1=3000 gizmo=gizdelim  create=myisisdb now
-all tell=100*

 1. *iso=marc=source.mrc *is the source data, usually standard marc
    files comes with extension .mrc
 2. *isotag1=3000*       you need this parameter so you move leader
    bytes into conventional field v30xx
 3. *gizmo=gizdelim* this is a gizmo to convert the delimiter \asc32
    into our loved ^ as delimiter

If you don't have this gizmo  you can create it with the following
instruction

mx null count=1 "proc='a1/1F/a11/hex/a2/^/'" create=gizdelim

Regards
Ernesto Spinak