[Isis-users] on publication of a catalogue in the Internet

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at uantwerpen.be
Mon Sep 16 13:20:21 CEST 2013

Hello,

indeed we see ABCD as the 'proper' follower-up to WinISIS for putting CDS/ISIS databases on the WWW, however there are other solutions, e.g. GenISIS which would be sufficient maybe for your needs as you only want to provide searching possibilities by WWW. ABCD is much more than that and provides all library automation functions along with others.

As for your comment on the strange characters in the 'footer' : this is a matter of conflict in between the encoding scheme of the file 'abcd.def' and the one defined for displaying ABCD pages in the file htdocs/central/common/header.php where there is a line reading something like :
echo "<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\" content=\"text/html; charset=windows-1256
but the charset could also be set to 'utf-8'or 'ISO-8859-1' (or others) according to your needs. E.g. for correct Cyrillic display you probably know better than us which encoding or charset to use - we would be interested to know by the way.
Since ABCD can be used in many varieties and environments (with the upcoming UTF-8 or Unicode version especially) ABCD-managers should be aware of this and adapt the header accordingly.