[Isis-users] Cisis - mx command

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at uantwerpen.be
Fri Oct 9 11:35:41 CEST 2015

Maybe you can have a look at the 'mxtb' utility of CISIS ? See the manual of CISIS.
The parameter 'tab=' there allows adding up all occurrences of a field (as the required format).

On the other hand, the original question for an equivalent of WinISIS' selection query
? p(v99)
indeed cannot be handled well by CISIS because CISIS doesn't do this type of query (which are not based on the Inverted File but on a sequential scan of the database). In J-ISIS this 'sequential search' was introduced only recently (because it aims at mimicking WinISIS fully).

But you can work around that : e.g. you could create an index entry with the statement
909 0 if val(v909)>0 then 'Y' fi
to select all records where v909 is present (as in ? p(v99) ).
Or to see the actual number of occurrences in the index :
909 5 '/OC_/', if val(v909)>0 then f(nocc(v909),1,0) fi
There is also a function RSUM() which sums all values of the occurrences of a field in one MFN. You can also use that in the FST format.
Then the index terms identified by field 909 (or a dedicated prefix if you define one like here OC_) can be used to select all records with a non-zero value, which is even faster than
? p(v99).
and send the MFN's to Excel for statistics.