[Isis-users] RDA update

Piet De Keyser piet.dekeyser at ucll.be
Fri Aug 25 11:17:58 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

In May 2017 Library of Congress published a new update for MARC according to the RDA standard:

https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bdapndxg.html

I have adapted the FDT and the worksheets according to this update. Most of the changes are only a change in the name of some subfields (although some new subfields are introduced once more…). Especially subfield 4 (Relator code) was changed into “Relationship” (in order to be more in line with linked data). There is only one minor change in the indicators (i.e. in 070 – which is in a picklist in ABCD). You can find the updated FDT and worksheets here:

http://www.personeel.khleuven.be/~pikey/RDAupdate24.rar (this file contains the English FDT and worksheets; who can take care of the Spanish, French, Portuguese files?)

The FDT is called RDA.FDT, but probabbly you will be using the MARC database: in that case you should rename “RDA” into “MARC”.

The FDT now is rather huge (2422 lines), with some consequences:

(1)   It slows down the system.

(2)   Updates in such an FDT are difficult.

(3)   There may be a problem when your maximum variables is too low: not all fields will be saved in data entry.

I am thinking of a way to avoid all this, still maintaining the possibility to be able to refer to the entire original FDT.

Piet de Keyser
UC Leuven-Limburg, Belgium