[Isis-users] Import RIS Files using MX

De Smet Egbert egbert.desmet at uantwerpen.be
Fri Mar 9 22:24:14 CET 2018

Hi,
the RIS format actually is a 'tagged text' file, with the tag being 2 characters, a space, a hyphen and a space, e.g.
AU - Dostojevski

So one way to deal with it would be to use the CISIS-utility 'ID2I' (also part of ABCD in the cgi-bin folder), which however expects the tag to be in the format of : !vXXX!
So you would need to process the input RIS-file with a 'search and replace' action (available in most text-editors) to change AU- to v001! to put the authors in v1, and so on.

This also requires all records to start with the same tag, so as to allow adding a 'record separator' with the same 'search and replace' tool, e.g.
search : AU -
replace with : !ID 000000
                        AU -

Well, I have never tried it but it should work in principle.
In ABCD itself (utilities/import) there is a way of defining a table for conversion of text-input into ISIS-records, with the possibility to define tag-texts and the destination fields for each tag.