[Isis-users] Import RIS Files using MX

Piet De Keyser piet.dekeyser at ucll.be
Fri Mar 9 23:38:58 CET 2018

Dear colleague,

Let me quote here from a mail put on this list by Ernesto Spinak in January 2017, where he explains how to convert tagged files into an ISIS database using MX. It seems rather complex at first fight, but I can asure you it works fine.

Piet de Keyser
Belgium

Text from here was by Ernesto Spinak:

Process
Create a gizmo with all labels declared in your source file
in this case, we prepared a text (take care of spaces) to create a gizmo named glabel
NMN |!v001!
DES: |!v002!
DIM: |!v003!
DOBN: |!v004!
DON: |!v005!
LOC: |!v006!
1) mx seq=labels.txt create=glabel now

2) read the source file into a database
   mx seq=CCH2.txt lw=8000 create=xxx now -all tell=100

3) mxcp xxx create=xxx1 clean   (get rid of extra spaeces and garbage)

4) create an ID text with cisis labels
mx xxx1 gizmo=glabel "pft=if s(v1):'!v001!' then '!ID 000000'/ v1 else v1 fi/" lw=8000 now > xxx2.txt

5) ID2I xxx2.txt create=final

6) retag your final mst

Result
mfn=     1
  1  «J 2»
  2  «Insignia (cockade) worn by member of German Schutztruppe; round rosette-shaped; red, white, black»
  5  «Mr Borg, 1956»
  6  «Alte Feste, Store Room»
..
mfn=     2
  1  «J 5 (a, b)»
  2  «Medals û Herero-Land, Gross-Namaland»
  5  «Sergeant-Major A. Bok, 1956»
  6  «Alte Feste, Store Room»
..
mfn=     3