[Isis-users] Error fullinv/Conversion to big isis

Egbert De Smet egbert.desmet at uantwerpen.be
Sat Aug 15 10:10:47 CEST 2020

Hello,

based on the brief description of your problem moving the database to 'BigIsis' (the version of Isis which allows bigger records and databases) could be a solution indeed. But the error of ifload (loading the Inverted File) can also be related to another problem.

Now, converting to BigIsis is relatively simple and therefore could be a good test to see whether the problem is related to this indeed.

The BigIsis executables have always been part of the packages distributed as ABCD2.x (x being 0 or 1, 2 is on its way), but for Windows there was not such version because at the time when Bireme was still active in developing/supporting CISIS Windows 64-bits was still rather uncommon. Maybe also the idea that more 'serious' users of ISIS (with bigger databases and records) most probably would prefer Linux over Windows has played a role in the omission of BigIsis in Windows.

Now, re-compiling CISIS for Windows, including a BigIsis version, is possible in principle but takes some real efforts. Before to do so  I would rather prefer to test whether the problem you mention indeed will be solved by using BigIsis : if you send me the database (in ISO2709 format or MST/XRF set, accompanied by the FDT and FST) I can move them to Linux and test the records and their indexing with BigIsis to see what happens.

A last observation : it could also be possible to solve your problem by splitting up records, after an analysis of their structure, over 2 databases, e.g. a database with the bibliographic basics and another one with all kinds of annotations (notes etc.), where the records of both databases are linked with an identifier and the REF(L)) function. Not so long ago I presented a similar solution on this list. I can help you with this endeavor as well, which would allow you to continue using the 'standard' CISIS (actually version 1660, i.e. indexes with short keys of max 16 characters and long ones up to 60 characters, in BigIsis these can be up to 512). This because again it has to be tested to make sure it solves your problem, which depends on the exact nature of the 'ifload' error : probably too many keys are generated for one record, so that they don't fit within the record limits (during indexing a 'virtual record' is to be created with the same limits as the ones applied to the real records), so it is a matter of selecting the right fields to move to the other database and testing if that solves this indexing-record size problem.