[Isis-users] manual

Dr. R. Raman Nair ramannair.r at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 10:38:36 CET 2024

Dear Friends

CDSIS and its later versions supported lacks and lacks of organization in
poor countries to automate library systems, document catalogue collections
as well as develop databases of other heritage items. It was one of the
greatest projects of UNESCO the knowledge, management/cultural scenario of
the world will never forget. Being UNESCO project the organizations and
individuals who started to use it never thought that the package would
suddenly get abandoned leaving users unguided and helpless in the middle of
the ocean. It was the most foolish decision UNESCO took forgetting the
organization's objectives.

When an international organization like UNESCO abandoned such a great
project no organization or country will have the power to take it up and
sustain the project. But it was an adventurous and bold move for a small
group of people to take it up and further develop it as ABCD with more
possibilities. We can understand the effort and the pain the resources this
small group is putting in.  We have to understand their mind, their
sacrifice. Sustaining such a project needs support from organizations like
UNESCO. How long they can sustain it.  I feel that those who can understand
the ABCD project need to find ways to make UNESC aware of the sin they did
and consider absorbing those who are working behind ABCD and the project as
UNESCO's ABCD Division. None of the projects UNESC has in its live list are
greater than or useful to the world for heritage conservation. This is my
view. I do not know its practicalities. I have no software knowledge.
Otherwise I would surely have joined the team to ease their efforts.

I request all to consider how we can sustain such projects

Raman Nair